Monday, March 21, 2011

Tongue-Tied

Why is it that people that have been in the medical field for years expect you to know what to do in certain situations? It is so frustrating but I am glad I have taken care of it sooner than later! What I am talking about is Channing's Tongue Tie. He was born with a tongue tie, I was aware of this but the nurse at delivery told me that they would only snip it if I had any complications breast feeding. Well I didn't, Channing latched perfect and I was only sore for a few days. So I told them the truth, it didn't hurt. So they said he wouldn't need it to be snipped. So that is where I left it. As he has continued to grow older and more mobile I have noticed him trying to stick his tongue out without luck. He was very limited with the movement with his tongue. But I thought this might be normal and he might grow out of it. Well, I take him in for his 4 month immunizations and the nurse notices it and asks why I never had it snipped. I tell her the story and she can't believe they didn't snip it. It is a very severe tongue tie, almost connected the tip of his tongue to the bottom of his mouth. She said even though I had no complications feeding, which is pretty much unheard of in these situations, they should have cut it because it could cause speech problems and dental problems. While this kinda made me mad that the delivery nurse just left it and didn't talk to me more about it. So I called the breast feeding clinic to get a second opinion. She was astounished by this. No wonder he lost a pound in his third month, he wasn't getting enough food. Because even though I couldn't tell he was having issues he was. How sad! She said that because it was so tight he would for sure have some issues as he grew up. So I decided to have it snipped. It was a quick process but kinda sad to watch. I even had to hold his head still as they took a little pair of scissors and snipped the skin and then pushed it back. He was not happy! He cried for about 5 minutes and then was comforted by being put straight to feed. He did so good, but I felt so bad for him. They said that is about the same pain as getting your ears pierced or taking blood, but sorry it looks and sounds worse than that, Hello you are cutting the skin! Oh Well we took care of that and now we don't have to worry about speech therapy or any of that stuff! HOPEFULLY.. It's funny to watch him now as he discovers his new little tongue, he makes a lot more noise and is always sticking it out! I am glad that is over but you know this could have been taken care of the day he was born! Some people... Seriously, I'm sure the nurse knew it would have to be done sometime, so why wait! Whatever, maybe I should have asked more questions! Well now little Channing has a tongue and he is letting us know that he is pretty happy about it!!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Poor little guy!

Unknown said...

Sad. I can't believe the doctor said that! Crazy lady. Well we can't wait to see you guys this weekend!

Shannan said...

I am so glad everything went well with little Chan Man. How great is it that he is just happier now. Hey I need you to call me and let me know honestly what I can do to make my editing better. I also want you to check out Taylor and Curtis's blog to see if there is anything there that she has made so far that you are interested in. She wants to start sewing now and she is extremely excited. Thanks and call me when you can. XOXOXOOXO